1. Nasa Umbrella Knowledge Hub
  2. Self-Employed
  3. Setting up as Self-Employed with HMRC

How to apply for a UTR Number

If you're planning to work as a self-employed individual via the CIS scheme you'll need to start by letting HMRC know.


If you are already registered for self-assessment then you will already have a UTR number. 

If not, you can follow the HMRC guidance here to register for self-assessment, and in turn you'll be sent a UTR number. 

You'll also be able to view your UTR number via the online government gateway once this has been set up. 


Click to register for self-assessment.