1. Nasa Umbrella Knowledge Hub
  2. Self-Employed
  3. Setting up as Self-Employed with HMRC

Checking your Self-Employed status: HMRC's Government Gateway

The best place to check for an overall picture is directly on the HMRC website, via the Government Gateway facility.

If you are registered self-employed or through CIS (Construction Industry Scheme), its a good idea to get set up with a Government Gateway account so you can track your tax and overall earnings.

1) Setting Up an Account

If you don't have a gateway login already, you can easily set one up here: https://www.access.service.gov.uk/login/signin/creds.

Once you have entered your preferred login details, you'll be issued with a GatewayID. Please ensure you keep this safe, as you may need this to access your account later on. 

Self Employed & CIS

After you’ve received your Government Gateway user ID, you’ll need to sign in and complete your self-employed registration online. HMRC will need a couple of critical pieces of information from you, including:

  • The date you started trading
  • The type of tax you want to add (Self-Assessment)
  • National Insurance number
  • Home address and contact details
  • The type of self-employed work you do
Once you’ve done this, you’ll be sent a letter with a 10-digit Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) which you’ll use on all your subsequent tax payments. In addition, you’ll be enrolled for Self-Assessment, which means you’re officially self-employed and you'll be able to track